Thursday, May 17, 2012

ITALIAN Daydreams

One thing that I learned this year is that I absolutely HAVE to travel to Italy! I have been fortunate enough to travel to some of Europe, but never to Italy.  To quench my desire to visit there, I have been having my own Italian Film Festival -- I started with, of course, Under the Tuscan Sun.  Italy is as big a co-star of that movie as anyone.  The country should have been nominated for a best supporting actor award as it gave the most seductive performance!
   
Then I found the movie "Pane e tulipani" - a movie in Italian with subtitles about a beleaguered Italian woman who restarts her life in Venice.
 
Next, for a change of pace I watched "Three Coins in the Fountain" -which is a charming 60's era movie/travel log for Italy, the Trevi Fountain and all things Italian. 
   
Tonight I had a knitting project to finish and was looking for a movie to play in the background and found "The Good Woman" filmed entirely in Amalfi, Italy.  That alone was enough to convince me to watch it!  I liked the movie, but I LOVED the setting and the villas were amazing.
    
Now I am watching a made for TV movie called "A Secret Affair".  It is a pretty cheese-y romance novel/movie, but it begins and ends in Venice and that is good enough for me!
   
I don't know that I'll ever get to go, but I'll keep my hopes high!  In the meantime, let's hear it for Netflix........and ITALY!
 



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this wonderful movie list, with photos (& thinking of me)! I'm intrigued by "A Good Woman" . . . will definitely rent that one. Two of my favorites are "Roman Holiday" and "Only You." On the sad side, but unbelievable performance is "Two Women" which won Sophia Loren her Academy Award. Yep ~ I'm an uncurable Italophile. Not sure when or if I'll be able to afford to go back, but every so many years I get the bug and do it on a shoestring. Grab a friend & GO!

    ReplyDelete